Saturday, December 18, 2010

advent journal: the connection was broken

My friend David died a year ago today. I wished I could have talked to him about the repeal of DADT and the failure of the DREAM Act and his daughter's graduation and what he was doing for Christmas and what music he had been listening to and what the plans were for camp next summer. But I couldn't. I did, however, spend a good bit of time talking to the Frontier Communications computer voice and a few of her human minions.

the connection was broken

this morning so I called
and talked to a computer
who had been made to
sound helpful and buy time
I had not planned to sell

it’s been a year since
we talked to each other
I even dialed your number
today to leave a message
it, too, has been disconnected

after an hour I was back
online and exhausted from
how long it took to find
someone who could help
and you are still gone

even though I stared at
our picture on my desk --
we were both smiling
at Christy’s wedding
I can still remember
Peace,
Milton

1 comment:

KJ said...

yes. peace to you, my friend.